Sunday, September 14, 2014

I'm not sure what this is, but I'd read it again.


I've never been into reading comic books. Always had a hard time following the order of the dialogue: which comes first, or next, or whether to read or look at the pictures. It never much interested me. I never was a Jules Feiffer fan either, only had a little exposure to his work. The New York Times gave this book a raving review and so I bought it. I thoroughly enjoyed the actual experience of reading it, smelling the pages, holding the book in my hands, turning the pages. It's bigger than most books. Hardbound, it felt good holding it.

I had deliberately misread the subtitle, a "graphic novel". Instead, I thought it said, "erotic novel", which it isn't. I'm not sure I could summarize the book even if I wanted to, which I don't. Maybe that's the point. I dunno. But I'm not sorry I spent the money. It was worth it. But I also don't think I'm gonna start collecting comic books for recreational reading. It was a nice "vacation" -- a couple days of easy reading never hurt anyone.

The part I liked best was the ending, "What is your story, is it truer than mine?" Feiffer invites me to invent my own story, because he's finished telling his. I think that's a good place to start -- at the end, and work (or read, as it were) backwards. That might still be work, either way.






(Illustrations by Jules Feiffer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.